Order hard copy editions of Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research by mail
Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference
Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
Wellesley, Massachusetts 02157
and Co-sponsored by
New Venture Development
Faculty of Management
The University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BRUCE A. KIRCHHOFF
WAYNE A. LONG
The University of Calgary
W. ED McMULLAN
The University of Calgary
KARL H. VESPER
University of Washington
WILLIAM E. WETZEL, JR.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF ENTREPRENEURS PSYCHOLOGICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL
1. Swedish Entrepreneurship in a Cross-Cultural Perspective, Sverker Alange and Sari Scheinberg.
2. Entrepreneurs and Managers: Are They Different?, Renato R. Bellu.
3. Motivational and Environmental Influences on Business Start-Ups: Some Hints For Public Policies, Paola Dubini.
4. Entrepreneurial Prerequisites in Venture Capital Backed Projects, Paola Dubini and Ian C. MacMillan.
Motivation and Values of Virginia Entrepreneurs As They Relate to Demographic and Performance Characteristics, Louise H. Brinkman and George W. Rimler.
Entrepreneurial Commitment: Persistence Versus Obstinacy, Murray B. Low.
Japanese Entrepreneurs Versus Corporate Managers: They Are Different, Takeru Ohe, Shuji Honjo, and Ian C. MacMillan.
New Concepts in Entrepreneurial Testing, Norbert Szyperski and Heinz Klandt.
ECONOMIC AND DEMOGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTICS OF SMALL ENTREPRENEURIAL FIRMS
In Pursuit of Evidence: Five Sampling Procedures For Locating New Businesses, Howard Aldrich, Arne Kalleberg, Peter Rarsden, and James Cassell.
A Cross-Cultural Perspective on Entre- preneurship in Canada: What Motivates People to Start Their Own Business, Roger A. Blais, Rena Blatt, John Kyle, and Andrew J. Szonyi.
Rural Enterprise Development: An Iowa Case Study, Terry F. Buss and Mark Popovich.
Venture Age and Growth Within Organization Types, Alan C. Filley and Ramon J. Aldag.
The Impact of Full Employment on Entrepreneurs, Elizabeth M. Haran.
Characteristics and Success Factors of Blue- Collar Entrepreneurs in First-Venture Start-Ups, Richard K. Hay, David L. Ross, and Michelle J. Walker.
Supply and Performance of Entrepreneurs: An Inter-Community Comparison, K. L. Sharma.
Opportunity Identification: A Taxonomy of Deliberate Approaches and Trial of One, Karl H. Vesper, Phil Shragge, and W. Ed McMullan.
MANAGERIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF ENTREPRENEURS AND MANAGERS OF START-UPS
5. Type of Man and Type of Company Revisited: A Confirmatory Cluster Analysis Approach, Per Davidsson.
6. Founding Team Experience and New Firm Performance, Brian R. Chambers, Stuart L. Hart, and Daniel R. Denison.
7. An Analysis of the Advice Given by Recent Entrepreneurs to Prospective Entrepreneurs, Karl A. Egge and Frank J. Simer.
Spinoff Entrepreneurs: How Corporations Really Create Entrepreneurs, Russell M. Kn
9. Relation Between Psychological Characteristics, Administrative Behaviors and Success of Founder Entrepreneurs at the Start-Up Stage, Jean Lorrain and Louis Dussault.
10. Entrepreneurial Typologies: Definitions and Implications, Carolyn Y. Woo, Arnold C. Cooper, and William C. Dunkelberg.
11. Field Study of Technical Ventures - Part III: The Impact of Entrepreneurial and Management Experience on Early Performance, Robert W. Stuart and Pier A. Abetti.
12. On The Source of Entrepreneurial Ideas, Roland H. Koller II.
Differences in Managerial Work Between Entrepreneurial and Professional Managers in the Software Industry, Richard D. Teach, Robert G. Schwartz, and Fred A. Tarpley, Jr.
The Morphology of Success in New, Start-Up Ventures as Seen by Venture Capitalists, John R. Stuteville.
Scientist-Entrepreneurs and New Venturesin Biotechnology: An Empirical Inquiry, Peter P. Patterson and Dennis M. Ray.
The Costs and Problems of Assembling the Entrepreneurial Team, Judith B. Kamm, John A. Seeger, and Jeffrey C. Shuman.
The Use of Outside Advisors in Venture Start-Ups, Roger W. Hutt and Barry L. Van Hook.
Goal and Strategic Orientations of Start- Up, Buy-Out and Inheritor Firms, Radha Chaganti and Raj Chaganti.
Who Are The INSEAD Self-Employed? Neil C. Churchill and Michael Ullmann.
The British Entrepreneur: A Study of the Top 100 Owner-Managers, Sue Birley and Liz Watson.
START-UPS - DATA ON CHARACTERISTICS, RATE OF FORMATION, ETC.
13. Survival and Failure: A Longitudinal Study, Arnold C. Cooper, William C. Dunkelberg, and Carolyn Y. Woo.
14. Sponsorship, Infrastructure and New Organizations: Exploration of an Ecological Model into Fourteen Regions, David M. Flynn.
15. Training Entrepreneurs Through Newspapers and Creating New Businesses, Bernard Garnier and Yvon Gasse.
An Analysis of New Firm Survival and Growth, Bruce D. Phillips and Bruce A. Kirchhoff.
Entrepreneurial Anchor Enterprises of Tomorrow, D. Kirk Neiswander and Kenneth J. Counihan.
An Analysis of Entrepreneurial Potential in a Geographically Isolated Urban Area, Andre B. Corbeau and Joanne B. Sheridan.
Factors Affecting the Development of Viable Business Concepts: An Exploratory Study of the Emerging Business, Alan L. Carsrud, Robyn W. Johnson, Ann Graham Ehringer, and Connie Marie Gaglio.
VENTURE CAPITAL - CHARACTERISTICS OF VENTURE CAPITAL INDUSTRY, ROLE IN BUSINESS FORMATION, ETC.
16. Rates of Return of Venture Capital Investing: A Study of 131 Funds, William D. Bygrave, Norman A. Fast, Roubina Khoylian, Linda Vincent, William Yue.
17. The Pursuit of Diversity By Venture Capital Firms: Antecedents and Implications, Anil K. Gupta and Harry J. Sapienza.
18. Venture Capitalists' Involvement in Their Investments: Extent and Performance, Ian C. MacMillan, David M. Kulow, and Roubina Khoylian.
19. Capital Gains Tax: Bane or Boon for Venture Capital?, William D. Bygrave and Joel M. Shulman.
More Than Money? The Performance of Venture Capital Backed Initial Public Offerings, David J. Brophy.
Do Venture Capitalists Create Value? A Test From The Computer Industry, Cherin and Michael Hergert.
Intuition in Venture Capital Decisions: An Exploratory Study, Robert D. Hisrich and A. D. Jankowicz.
The Salient Characteristics of Entrepreneurial Ventures, Arshad M. Khan, Ian C. MacMillan, and Veerachai Manopichetwattana.
FINANCING START-UPS OTHER THAN THROUGH VENTURE CAPITALISTS
29. Equity Financing for New Technology-Based Firms, John Freear and William E. Wetzel, Jr.
The Relationship Between Financing of Ventures, the Length of Time the Venture Has been in Existence, and the Nature of The Business, Pam S. Autrey.
Network and Participation interest of Missouri Informal Investors, Donald D. Myers and Michael D. Moline.
MANAGING THE BUSINESS - TURNAROUND, HARVEST, CONTRACTIONS, ACQUISITIONS, ETC.
21. A Profile of New Venture Success and Failure in An Emerging Industry, Donald A. Duchesneau and William B. Gartner.
22. Some Key Success Factors in Australian New Venture Management, L. Murray Gillin and Kevin Hindle.
Managing Social Network Evolution and Entrepreneurial Benefits, John E. Butler and Gary S. Hansen.
Entrepreneurship in Loosely-Coupled Organizations, Thomas C. Dandridge and Cecilia M. Falbe.
Entrepreneurial Foresight: Analyzing The Mechanisms of Growing Firms to Assist Entrepreneurial Education, Timothy F., Lorraine U. Hendrickson, and Patricia B. Weber.
Technology Assimilation Problems of Entrepreneurial Activities in Developing Areas , Claude M. Jonnard and Hesan A. Quazi.
Let's Define a Deal, Brooks Mitchell and Lou is Ponthieu.
Entrepreneurial Performance: A Case Study of Textile Industry in Punjab, Sherry Sabbarwa.
HIGH TECHNOLOGY VENTURES (PER SE)
23. The Emergence of the High Technology Industry in Southwestern Pennsylvania: A Case Study of Pittsburgh, William J. Sauer, Michael Currid, and Arthur J. Schwab.
24. Internal and External Resources in Technology- Based Spin-Offs: A Survey, Magnus Klofsten, Pia Lindell, Christer olofsson, and Clas Wahlbin.
Characteristics Influencing High Technology Start-Up Success, L. N. Goslin and S. J. Kiehl.
25. New Venture Competitive Strategy: An Industry Life Cycle Analysis, Jeffrey G. Covin and Dennis P. Slevin.
26. An Exploration of the Methods Used by New Firms to Estimate Future Sales, William B. Gartner and Robert J. Thomas.
27. New Venture Performance: Patterns of Strategic Behavior in Different Industries, Patricia P. McDougall and Richard B. Robinson, Jr.
Entry Strategy and Its Relation to Venture Performance and Competitor Response: A Literature Review and Proposed Research Agenda, Alex Miller 4Q2.
Leveraged Buy-Outs: Entrepreneurship or Business As Usual?, Stewart C. Malone.
High Growth Entrepreneurial Ventures: A Content Analysis to Identify Common Strategic Factors, Gerald E. Hills and Harold P. Welsch.
Relationship Between Role, Composition and Perceived Benefits of Boards of Directors for Privately-Owned Firms, Flynn Bucy and Sam Seaman.
28. The Management of Failure: A Key to Organizational Entrepreneurship, Daniel F. Muzyka.
29. Success and Failure in Internal Venture Strategy: An Exploratory Study, R. Jeffery Ellis and Natalie T. Taylor.
Characteristics of Successful Intra-Corporate Entrepreneurs, John E. Bailey.
Hot Dingman Dogs--Creating Corporate Silk Purses From Corporate Sow's Ears: The Henley Group, Daryl G. Mitton.
An Empirical test of Main and Contingent Effects of a Relatedness in Corporate Venturing, Diana L. Day.
Organizational Learning Systems and Intrapreneurial Events, Janice S. Gallik.
Corporate Venturing: Implementing Innovation in the Healthcare Industry, Courtney Price.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship Within The Fortune 1000, Margarethe F. Wiersema.
INCUBATORS AND OTHER UNIVERSITY SUPPORT TO ENTREPRENEURSHIP
30. Incubators and Performance: A Comparison of High and Low Growth High Tech Firms, Henry R. Feeser and Gary E. Willard.
Creating Jobs by Enabling Small Companies to Venture, Kjell R. Knudsen and J. Tait Elder.
A Model Incubator for Rural Regions, Daniel M. Spitzer, Jr.
FACTORS INFLUENCING ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND START-UPS (NON-GOVERNMENT)
31. Venture Creators and Firm Buyers: A Comparison of Attitudes Towards Government Help and Locus of Control, Jean-Charles Cachon.
"Swarming" Practices: Firms Need to Manage The Employee's Desire of Starting Their Own Business, Some Empirical Data, Christian Bruyat.
FACTORS INFLUENCING ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND START-UPS (GOVERNMENT)
32. Government Procurement and Research Contracts at Start-Up and Success of Canadian High-Tech Entrepreneurial Firms, Jerome A. Doutriaux.
Formation in the United Kingdom: The Impact of the Business Expansion Scheme, Richard T. Harrison and Colin M. Mason.
Public Sector Involvement in Venture Capital Financing: The Case of Michigan, Robert T. Kleiman and William D. Bygrave.
WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP
34. Women Entrepreneurs: Strategic Origins Impact on Growth, Candida G. Brush and Robert D. Hisrich.
35. Women As Entrepreneurs in Sweden--Conclusions From a Survey, Carin Holmquist and Elisabeth Sundin.
36. Women Entrepreneurs: Constructing A Framework to Examine Venture Success and Failure, Eileen Kaplan.
Sexual Stereotyping of Female Entrepreneurs: A Comparative Psychological Trait Analysis of Female and Male Entrepreneurs, Donald L. Sexton and Nancy Bowman-Upton.
Development of Indigenous Entrepreneurs: The Initial Phase of a Longitudinal Study of Inner- City New Venture Initiation, Alan L. Carsrud, Robyn W. Johnson, and James R. Krause.
The Role of Networks in New Venture Funding For The Female Entrepreneur: A Continuing Analysis, Kenneth W. Olm, Alan L. Carsrud, and Lee Alvey.
Changing Patterns of Demand: Entrepreneurship Education for Entrepreneurs, Alice L. Boberg and Pamela Kiecker.
Aspects Of The Long Term Supply of Entrepreneurs: The U.K. Experience of Encouraging Graduate Enterprise, Michael G. Scott.
Foundations' Involvement in Entrepreneurial Research, Elizabeth Gatewood, Shaila Miranda, and Frank Hoy.
General Management and Entrepreneurship, Howard H. Stevenson.
37. An 11 Country Study of Motivations to Start a Business, Sari Scheinberg and Ian C. MacMillan.
What Are Entrepreneurs Trying Not to Tell Us? Paul Alpar and Daniel M. Spitzer, Jr.
Comparison of Immigrant Armenian Entrepreneurs in Los Angeles and Immigrant Chinese Entrepreneurs in Calgary, Dennis M. Ray, Ashley Momjian, W. Ed McMullan, and Sylvia Ko.
A Crossnational Comparison of Entrepreneur's Perceptions of Success, Dennis M. Ray and Dominique V. Turpin.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND THE SOCIAL GOOD
A Comparative Analysis of Community Responses to Steel Plant Closures, Gary L. Benson.
Is There Life Outside High Technology? Industries That Lead Economic Development, William J. Dennis, Jr.
Economic Recovery In The Mahoning Valley, Roger J. Vaughan and Terry F. Buss.
|Return to Babson College
Main Home Page
(c)1996 Babson College. All rights
reserved. Last updated 16 January 1997
Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research are available online
Material published on this web site is copyrighted by Babson College.
U.S. and international copyright laws protect such material. All rights reserved.
1981-1993 contains only Table of Contents. Abstracts only are available for papers published in 1994
Full text of papers available 1995 - 2005
Some special and foreign characters may not appear as in the printed text due to display characteristic of the browser.
© Babson College 1995. All rights reserved.