Order hard copy editions of Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research by mail
Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference
Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
Wellesley, Massachusetts 02157
Institute of Entrepreneurial Studies
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, Missouri 63108
Robert H. Brockhaus, Jr.
Saint Louis University
Neil C. Churchill
Jerome A. Katz
Saint Louis University
Bruce A. Kirchhoff
Karl H. Vesper
University of Washington
William E. Wetzel, Jr.
University of New Hampshire
PERSONAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF ENTREPRENEURS
1. Growth: A Vocational Choice and Psychological Preference, Charles W. Ginn and Donald L. Sexton.
2. Entrepreneurial Motivation: A Comparison of High and Low Growth High Tech Founders, Henry R. Feeser and Kathleen Watson Dugane.
3. The Economic and Demographic Determinants of Self-Employment, Edwin A. Sexton and Peter B. Robinson.
4. Intentions, Hurdles, and Start-Ups: An Analysis of Entrepreneurial follow-through, Jerome A. Katz.
A Profile and Analysis of Potential Entrepreneurs, Joanne B. Sheridan, Andrew Delaney, and Joe W. Floyd, Jr.
Do Graduates From Small Business Backgrounds Have More Entrepreneurial Attitudes Than Those From Employee Backgrounds?, Peter Rosa and Jean-Charles Cachon.
The Impact of Prior Entrepreneurial Exposure on Perceptions of New Venture Feasibility and Desirability, Norris Krueger, Jr.
The Culture of the Entrepreneur: Fact or Fiction, John D. Kyle, Roger A. Blais, Rena Blatt, and Andrew J. Szonyi.
Modelling Interest in Entrepreneurship: Implication For Business Development, Kjell R. Knudsen and Donald G. McTavish.
MANAGERIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF ENTREPRENEURS AND MANAGERS
5. Profile Characteristics, Success Factors and Marketing in Highly Successful Firms, Gerald E. Hills and Chem L. Narayana.
6. Entrepreneurial Time Allocation Patterns Across Early Stages of Development, Anne M. McCarthy, David A. Krueger, and Timothy S. Schoenecker.
7. Venture Development in High-Technology Firms: The Impact of Managerial Qualities Across The Organizational Life Cycle, Thomas J. Dean and G. Dale Meyer.
Correlates of Organizational Stress in the Growing Entrepreneurial Firm, G. Russell Merz and Vivian Watkins.
The Survival, Failure and Exit of a 5-Year Cohort of Graduate Entrepreneurs, Michael G. Scott.
On the Causes of Entrepreneurial Success, Roland H. Koller II.
Measuring The Cognitive Strategic Sophistication of Entrepreneurs Through Tacit Knowledge, Lorraine S. Dyke, Eileen M. Fischer, and A. Rebecca Reuber.
DEMOGRAPHIC STUDIES OF BUSINESS START-UP, GROWTH AND SURVIVAL
8. The Role of Small Enterprises in Job Generation in Australia: A Longitudinal Study from 1973, Alan J. William's.
9. Determinants of Growth for Small and Large Entrepreneurial Startups, Carolyn Y. Woo, Arnold C. Cooper, William C. Dunkelberg, Urs Daellenbach, and William J. Dennis
10. An Assessment of Success Factors of Non- Urban Start-up Firms Based Upon Financial Characteristics of Successful Versus Failed Ventures, Richard K. Hay and David L. Ross.
11. New Firm Survival: Analysis of a Panel's Fourth Year, Paul Reynolds and Brenda Miller.
12. Innovation and Growth Among New Firms in the U. S. Economy, Bruce A. Kirchhoff and Bruce D. Phillips.
13. Growth Performance and Financial Structure of New Technology-Based Firms, Oystein Fredriksen, Magnus Klofsten, Christer Olofsson, Clas Wahlbin.
14. Performance of New Technology-Based Firms in the Federal Republic of Germany at the Stage of Market Entry, Michael Mayer, Walter Heinzel, and Raymund Muller.
VENTURE CAPITAL AND FINANCING START-UPS
15. Do Venture Capitalists on Boards of Portfolio Companies Add Value Besides Money?, Joseph Rosenstein, Albert V. Bruno, William D. Bygrave, and Natalie T. Taylor.
16. Equity Capital For Entrepreneurs, John Freear and William E. Wetzel, Jr.
17. Launching and Building Entrepreneurial Companies: Do the Venture Capitalists Add Value?, Harry J. Sapienza and Jeffry A. Timmons.
18. Venture Capital From the Investors' Perspective, Vance E. Fried and Robert D. Hisrich.
19. Determinants of New Venture Success Before 1982 And After A Preliminary Look at Two Eras, Robert H. Keeley and Juan B. Roure.
20. A Time To Buy and A Time To Sell: A Study of 77 Venture Capital Investments in Companies That Went Public, William D. Bygrave and Michael Stein.
21. Pursuit Of Innovation By New Ventures And Its Effects On Venture Capitalist-Entrepreneur Relations, Harry J. Sapienza and Anil K. Gupta.
22. Financing The Rapidly Growing Firm: Recent Canadian Experience, Catherine Swift.
Risk And Return Attributes Of Publicly Traded Venture Capital Firms, Robert To Kleiman, Joel M. Shulman, Lori A. Underhill.
Venture Capital In Japan: An Exploratory Study, William Jo Scheela.
MANAGING ENTREPRENEURIAL GROWTH
23. When's The Big Idea?, Karl H. Vesper.
24. Evidence On The Impact of Going Public On The Entrepreneur And His Firm In Canada, Jocelyn J-Y. Desroches and Vijay M. Jog.
25. Empirical Evidence On Developmental Trajectories Of New Business, Richard Cardozo, Paul Reynolds, Brenda Miller, and Doris Phillips.
26. Empirical Relationships Among Strategic Posture Environmental Context Variables, And New Venture Performance, Jeffrey G. Covin and Dennis P. Slevin.
27. The Recognition And Exploitation of Opportunity In The Software Industry: A study of Surviving Firms, Richard D. Teach, Robert G. Schwartz, and Fred A. Tarpley, Jr.
28. Business Planning In New, High Technology Firms, Daniel M. Spitzer, Jr., Paul Alpar and Gerald E. Hills.
29. Factors Which Influence A New Firm's Ability To Accurately Forecast New Product Sales, William B. Gartner and Robert J. Thomas.
Successful Growth Management, D. Kirk Neiswander and Margaret E. Fultons.
Financing Strategic Changes In New and Old Ventures, Rajeswararao Chaganti, and William Dunkelberg.
New Venture Success In Early and Late Markets: A Tale of 5 Cities, Donald A. Duchesneau.
Are Well-Balanced Entrepreneurial Teams More Successful?, Judith B. Kamm, Jeffrey C. Shuman, John A. Seegar, and Arron J. Nurick.
Performance After Acquistion: The Role of Entrepreneurs, Robert B. Brown, John E. Butler, and Karl H. Vesper.
HIGH TECHNOLOGY VENTURES
Characteristics Influencing High Technology Start-up Success, S. J. Kiehl and L. N. Goslin.
High Tech Start-Ups and Marketing, The Canadian Case, Jerome Doutriaux, and Howard Tweddle.
INCUBATORS AND OTHER FACTORS AFFECTING START-UPS (AND GROWTH)
30. Business Incubators: Do We Really Understand Them?, Daniel M. Spitzer, Jr. and Roger H. Ford.
31. Creating Regional Resources For Business Entrepreneurship: A Growing Role For Charitable Foundations, Tait Elder and Paul Olsen.
R&D Gambles And Firm Size, Bart Nooteboom.
Organizational and Entrepreneurial Correlates of Computer Use At The Start-Up Stage, Louis Raymond and Jean Lorrain.
New Venture Initiation: Factors Influencing Success, Val D. Miskin and Jerman Rose.
The Role of Public Accountants In Start-Up And Early Stage Ventures, Roger W. Hutt, Barry L. Van Hook, and Larry R. Smeltzer.
Strategic Management of Incubators: Myth Or Reality?, D. Ray Bagby, R. Duane Ireland, and James R. Lumpkin.
The Impact of Mandated Health Benefits Legislation and Full Employment On The Business Climate In Massachusetts, Elizabeth M. Haran.
ENTREPRENEURIAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
32. Entrepreneurship Research Centers: Their Interest, Activities, And Support Of Research, William R. Sandberg, Elizabeth Gatewood, and Kenneth Olm.
Developing An Entrepreneur-And Small Business-Inspired Research Agenda, McRae C. Banks and G. Stephen Taylor.
Entrepreneurial Research On Students May Not Generalize To Real World Entrepreneurs, Peter B. Robinson and H. Keith Hunt.
Varieties of Entrepreneurship: A Strategic Classification Based On Business Concept, Production Technology and Product, Mahesh P. Bhave.
COUNTRY AND CROSS-CULTURAL STUDIES
33. Entrepreneurship In The People's Republic Of China, E. E. Williams.
34. Planning Behavior In New Ventures: A Comparison Between Chicago and Vienna Entrepreneurs, Hermann Frank, Gerhard R. Plaschka, Dietmar Roessl, and Harold P. Welsch.
A Comparison Of Attitudinal Characteristics Of Entrepreneurs In The United States, Korea, Thailand, And Peoples Republic of China, David V. Stimpson, Peter B. Robinson, Sithichoke Waranusuntikule, and Richang Zheng.
Entrepreneurs In Japan And Silicon Valley: A Study Of Perceived Differences, Takeru Ohe, Shuji Honjo, Mark Oliva, Matthew Considine, and Ian C. MacMillan.
The Entrepreneur And The Angel: An Exploratory Cross Cultural Study, Robert D. Hisrich, Barra O'Cinneide.
GENERALIZABLE CASE STUDIES
35. Intermark!..Get Scott! ... Grow! An Analysis Of Charles Scott's Entrepreneurial Approach To Increasing Corporate Value At Intermark, Inc., Daryl G. Mitton.
Strategic Implications Of Entrepreneurial Ventures "Born International": Four Case Studies, Dennis M. Ray.
Entrepreneurship In Skil Corporation's Circular Saw Plant, John Todd and Robert Teagarden.
A License To Print Money? John Pryke & The Serif Group, Michael Ullmann and David Molian.
Food Lion: A Case Study In Idea Transformation And Entrepreneurial Succession, Douglas W. Schell.
FRANCHISES AND ENTREPRENEURIAL JOINT VENTURES
industrial Partnering: Fast Start and High Growth, Mary T. Coughlin-McKinney and Daniel M. Spitzer, Jr.
Joint Ventures As A Venture Creation Strategy: A Case Study, Anthony F. Buono.
Industry And Firm Influences On Entrepreneurial Behavior Among Franchisees, Cecilia M. Falbe, Ajith Kumar, and Thomas C. Dandridge.
36. Women On The Verge Of A Breakthrough?: Networking Among Entrepreneurs in the United States And Italy, Howard Aldrich, Pat Ray Reese, Paola Dubini, Ben Rosen, and Bill Woodward.
37. Entrepreneurial Buyouts Developments And Trends 1978-1988, Natalie T. Taylor and Frederic A. Hooper, Jr.
38. Private Business Sales Environments In The United Kingdom, Sue Birley and Paul Westhead.
Women Entrepreneurs: The Satisfaction of Self-Employment, Xiaoping Tian and Barbara Bird.
Establishing An Entrepreneur Based Networking Organization - A Report On The Silicon Valley Entrepreneurs Club, Bob Hansens.
Transitions And Second Generation Entrepreneurship, Frank Hoy, Carol Reeves, Patricia McDougall, and Pat Smith.
|Return to Babson College
Main Home Page
(c)1996 Babson College. All rights
reserved. Last updated 16 January 1997
Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research are available online
Material published on this web site is copyrighted by Babson College.
U.S. and international copyright laws protect such material. All rights reserved.
1981-1993 contains only Table of Contents. Abstracts only are available for papers published in 1994
Full text of papers available 1995 - 2005
Some special and foreign characters may not appear as in the printed text due to display characteristic of the browser.
© Babson College 1995. All rights reserved.