Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research -- 1994
Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research
Babson-Kaufman Entrepreneurship Research Conference
Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, Topical Index
Entrepreneurial Research at Babson College
Order hard copy editions of Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research by mail
FRONTIERS OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP RESEARCH 1994
Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference
Babson College-Kauffman Foundation
Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
Babson Park, Massachusetts 02157-0310
William D. Bygrave
Neil C. Churchill
University of Houston
University of Texas/El Paso
Robert H. Keeley
University of Colorado
William E. Wetzel, Jr.
University of New Hampshire
Babson College 1994
THE COLEMAN FOUNDATION AWARD
WINNING CONFERENCE PAPER ON THE GENERAL TOPIC:
What can the Public Sector do to Increase New Business Starts?; Sammis B. White and Paul D. Reynolds.
KAUFFMAN FOUNDATION AWARD WINNING
PAPER ON THE SPECIAL TOPIC: THE INFLUENCE OF RESEARCH ON TEACHING IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND VICE VERSA.
Entrepreneurial Clout: Honing the Intuitive Behaviours Necessary to Sustain; Entrepreneurial Success; Daryl G. Mitton.
1."Push" and "Pull" Entrepreneurship; Raphael Amit and Eitan Muller.
2. Performance Determinants for Male and Female Entrepreneurs; Raji Srinivasan, Carolyn Y. Woo and Arnold C. Cooper.
Implementing Ideas: Details, Deadlines and Outcomes; Barbara J. Bird and
Cognitive Processes and the Entrepreneur: A Replication and Extension of a Recent Study of Risk Taking; D. Ray Bagby, Leslie E. Palich and Phil E. Stetz.
Finding the High Flying Entrepreneurs - a Cautionary Tale; Sue Birley,
Daniel F. Muzyka, Carolyn Dove and Gerda Rossell.
Entrepreneurship as a Vehicle for Self Actualization; James W. Carland, Jo Ann C. Carland and Frank Hoy.
Perceptual Differences Between CEOs and Venture Capitalists Regarding New Venture Enhancement Factors; Alan J. Grant.
Risk and the Entrepreneurial Process: A Case Study Approach; Paul D. Hannon.
Exploring the Dynamics of Entrepreneurial Leadership: A Critical Assessment
of Construct Validity; Maureen A. McGuigan.
An Entrepreneurial Tragi-Comedy: Exploring the Dark Side of Venturing; W. Ed McMullan.
II. ENTREPRENEURIAL PROCESES
3. Friends and Strangers: Early Hiring Practices and Idiosyncratic Jobs; Ted Baker
and Howard E. Aldrich.
4. Founding Conditions and Business Performance: "High Performers" vs. Small vs. Venture Capital-Backed Start-Ups; Robert H. Keeley and Robert W. Knapp.
5. The Importance of Founder, Start-Up Process, and Structural Variables in Entrepreneurial Firms: A Study of the Shortline Railroad Industry; Harvey Sapienza and Curtis M. Grimm.
Having Business Ideas - Creating a Company; Anders Lundstrom and Eva-Lotta Lowstedt.
Immigrant Entrepreneurial Enclaves: The Case of Russian Immigrants in Israel; Miri Lerner.
Entreprenology: The Study of the Creation and Extraction of Value From an Environment; Michael G. Scott and Alistair R. Anderson.
Contextual Differences Between High Tech and Low Tech Firms: An Examination of Performance; Timothy M. Stearns and Paul D. Reynolds.
Survivorship and Growth Among Sponsored Businesses in New Jersey: A Resource Based Approach to the Microfirm; Patricia Gene Greene, Bruce A. Kirchhoff and Terrence E. Brown.
Antecedents of Entrepreneurship Performance: Traits/Motives, Competency, Vision, Motivation, Strategy, and Industry Structure; Stefan Wally and J. Robert Baum.
III. ORGANIZATIONAL FACTORS
6. Stages of Small Business Growth Revisited: Insights into Growth Path and Leadership/Management Skills in Low- and High-Growth Companies; John H. Eggers, Kim T. Leahy, and Neil C. Churchill.
7. Entrepreneurial Management: A Converging Theory for Large and Small Enterprises; Neil C. Churchill and Daniel F. Muzyka.
8. Developing Systems that Facilitate Organizational Learning: Examples of Successful New Venture Development; Brenda E. Joyner and Charles W. Hofer.
9. Executive Compensation in New Public Firms: Characteristics and Incentives; Robert H. Keeley, Gordon M. Phillips and Lessaad A. Turki.
10. The Financial and Entrepreneurial Characteristics of Innovative Small Firms in the U.K.; Pooran Wynarczyk, Alfred Thwaites and Peter Wynarczyk.
Change in Family Operated Businesses - The Case of Farm Diversification; Svante Brunaher.
Predictors of Small Acquirers' CE Behavior and Performance; Newell Gough.
The Potential for and Barriers to Growth in the Most Promising Technology-Based Entrepreneurial Firms in Finland: Empirical Evidence from a Nation-Wide Study; Annareetta Lumme and Kaj-Erik Relander.
Cultural Similarities and Differences: A Comparison of Small Business and Entrepreneurial Firms; Michael H. Morris, Donald L. Sexton and Foard F. Jones.
Management Skills and Practices of Entrepreneurs; Brent D. Peterson, W. Gibb Dyer, Jr, Rick C. Farr and Marlow A. Christensen.
The Commercial Health Monitoring of Entrepreneurial Firms Using Process
Control Techniques; Paul L. Reynolds and John Day.
11. Studying the Product-Market Strategies of Growing Businesses: A Case Study Approach; Alexander Ardishvili and Richard Cardozo.
12. Competition in Young, Technology-Based Firms: Strategy Identification, Context, and Performance; Karen A. Bantel and Deborah R. Ettington.
13. The Relationship Between Performance and Consensus Among Top Managers in Entrepreneurial Firms; G. Dale Meyer and G. Page West III.
14. The Management of the Growth in the Small Innovative Companies: The Case of the Software; Mario Raffa, Guiseppe Zollo and Renata Caponi.
15. New Approaches for Assessing New Venture Performance; Kenneth C. Robinson, Scott W. Kunkel and Charles W. Hofer.
16. The Strategy and Performance of Independent and Corporate-Sponsored New Ventures; Mark Simon and Shaker A. Zahra.
17. Determinants of New Ventures' Objectives; Pieter A. VanderWerf.
The Determination of Optimal Marketing Expenditures-An Application of Option Theory; Saugata Banerjee, William D. Bygrave and Benoit Leleux.
An Empirical Investigation of the Impact of Formal Strategic Planning in Extremely High Growth Ventures; Michael D. Ensley and McRae C. Banks.
Environment, Competitive Strategy and Performance: An Exploratory Study of New Ventures in U.S. and Canada; Radha Chaganti and Candida G. Brush.
"World-Class" Manufacturing Systems and Firm Performance; Gaylen N. Chandler, Steven H. Hanks, Glenn M. McEvoy, Steven Beckstead.
Collaborative Strategies or Internal Development: When are They Most Appropriate for Small Canadian High-Tech Firms, and Why? Cynthia A. Farrell and Jerome A. Doutriaux.
The Impact of Entrepreneurial Teams on Financial Performance: A Comparison of Finnish New Ventures and Established Firms; Juha M. Nasi, Salme Nasi, McRae C. Banks and Michael D. Ensley.
Bridging the Gap? Marketing Consultancy and the Smaller Firm; David Molian and Sue Birley.
Fantasy vs. Reality: The Entrepreneurs' Product Development Process; Robert G. Schwartz, Richard D. Teach and Fred A. Tarpley, Jr.
18. Determinants of a New Venture Team's Receptivity to Advice from Venture Capitalists; Jay B. Barney, Lowell W. Busenitz, James O. Fiet and Doug Moesel.
19. CEO Dismissal and the Role of the Venture Capitalist; Garry Bruton, Vance Fried and Robert D. Hisrich.
20. European Management Buy-Out Funds: Opportunity Selection Criteria; Daniel F. Muzyka and Michael G. Hay.
21. Raising Finance From Banks: A Comparative Study of the Experience of Male and Female Business Owners; Lauren H. Read.
22. Altruism and Entrepreneurship; Mary Kay Sullivan.
23. Venture Capitalists and Serial Entrepreneurs; Mike Wright, Ken Robbie and
The Relative Influence of Selected Actors and Partners at the Time of Going Public: A France-Quebec Comparison; Bernard Belletante and Joycelyn J.-Y. Desroches.
Virgin Angels, Business Forums and Teleconferencing: An Empirical First Look; Jeffrey Bracher and Van Clouse.
An Analysis of Compensation in the U.S. Venture Capital Partnership; Paul Gompers and Josh Lerner.
The Posted-Price Paradox: Evidence on the Flotation Mechanism Selections Process in France; Benoit Leleux and Remy Paliard.
Why "Business Angels" Say No: A Case Study of Opportunities Rejected by an Informal Investor Syndicate; Colin M. Mason and Richard T. Harrison.
The Role of Professional Advisers in the Management Team's Search for Venture Capital Finance in United Kingdom Management Buy-Outs and Buy-Ins; Gordon Murray, Bruce Nixon, Paul Pounsford, Mike Wright.
Managing Investor Relations: The Impact of Procedural Justice in Establishing and Sustaining Investor Support; Harry J. Sapienza and M. Audrey Korsgaard.
The Perception of Opportunity By European Venture "Angels;" Colin M. Mason, Daniel F. Muzyka, Michael Hay, Richard T. Harrison, Hans Lundstrom and Annareetta Lumme.
Sources of Start-Up and Early-Stage Capital Available to High Technology Entrepreneurs in the UK: A Regional Study; Heather I.M. Wilson.
The Financial Imperatives of Starting New Ventures; Charles W. Hofer.
24. Triggering Strategic Alliances in Entrepreneurial Firms: The Case of Technology - Sharing Alliances; Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, Claudia Bird Schoonhoven.
25. Partnering in Establishing New Ventures: The Experience in Hungary; Marjorie A. Lyles, Nancy M. Carter, Inga S. Baird.
26. Cooperative Strategy and New Venture Performances: The Role of Managerial Experience; Jeffrey E. McGee.
27. Creating Value in Entrepreneurial Ventures: A Study of Inter-Firm Collaboration; Michael Merenda, Craig H. Wood and William Naumes.
Intent to Use Strategic Alliances for Commercialization; Deborah R. Ettington
and Karen A. Bantel.
28. The Impact of Inter-Organizational Relationships on Industrial Growth: The Case of
the Handicraft Industry in Thailand; John E. Butler and Brad Brown.
Entrepreneurship in Cyberspace: An Evaluation of Online Networking Opportunities for entrepreneurs; John F. S. Bunch.
The Impact of Human Capital on Prospective Entrepreneur's Social Network; Lene Foss.
The Entry Process Into American's Network vs. Chinese GUAN-XI: A Cross-Cultural Understanding of Comparative Method and Business Owner's Networks; Elena Ai-Yuan Yang.
VIII. PUBLIC POLICY
29. Pollution Regulation and Small Establishment Formations in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Longitudinal Analysis of Deterrent Effects; Thomas J. Dean, Robert L. Brown, Mark De La Mater.
30. Can Governments Nurture Young Growing Firms? Qualitative Evidence From A Three Nation Study?; Jonathan Levie.
The Impact of Environmental Regulation on Firm Formation Rates; Bruce A. Kirchhoff and Robert E. McAuliffe.
Winners and Losers: A Study of the Performance and Survival of TEC Supported New Start Businesses in West Yorkshire; Nicholas Wilson, Sandra Hogarth-Scott, Kathryn J. Watson
Entrepreneurship in the Public Sector: Some Preliminary Evidence From UK Primary Care; Christine Ennew, Jaqueline Jolleys, Phil Robinson and David Whynes.
31. Explaining the Formation of International New Ventures: The Limits of Theories From International Business Research; Patricia Phillips McDougall, Scott Shane and Benjamin M. Oviatt.
32. Regional Characteristics Affecting Entrepreneurship: A Cross-National Comparison; Paul D. Reynolds, David J. Storey, Paul Westhead.
33. International Communication in a Start-Up; Joan Frantz Vesper, Karl H. Vesper, Byung-Ju Cho.
Global Entrepreneurship in the Information Economy; Richard T. Harrison,
Claire M. Leitch, and Colin M. Mason.
Telematic Trading, Towards the Global SME; Dierdre A.M. Hunt.
Barriers to Innovations: A Cross Cultural Comparison; Russell M. Knight.
From Ugly Ducks to Beautiful Swans: Entrepreneurship in the Polish Transition Economy, 1990-1993; Stefan Kwiatkowski and Charles R.B. Stowe.
34. Double Your Trouble Through International Financing: Abby's Goes to Mexico; Frank Hoy and Mauricio Hoy Echegaray.
Returns to Franchising; Steven C. Michael and Hollie J. Moore.
Strategy, Structure, and Performance in Franchise Systems; Steven C. Michael
Entrepreneur-Franchisees: The Impact of Non-Contractual Interactions; Philip H. Phan and John E. Butler.
A Multi-variate Assessment of Franchisee Satisfaction in the Franchisee-Franchisor Relationship from the Perspective of the Franchisee; Stephen Spinelli, Jr.
and Sue Birley .
IX. UNIVERSITY RELATED
University-Based New Venture Development: Identifying the Keys to Success; Garth K. Daniels and Charles W. Hofer.
Linking the Performance of the Rensselaer Incubator Program and the Performance of Its Participating Companies; Mark P. Rice, John Wilkinson and Phillip G. Wickham.
Measuring the Impact of Institutions and Scholars on Research in Entrepreneurship; Scott A. Shane.
XII. EDUCATION AND TRAINING
35. Doctoral Students: How Much Have They Influenced Entrepreneurship Education and Practice?; William D. Bygrave.
36. The Value of Content Analysis for Developing Venture Screening Skills; William B. Gartner, Jennifer A. Starr, Jon P. Goodman.
37. The Impact of New Venture Growth Research on Entrepreneurship Education; Steven H. Hanks and Gaylen N. Chandler.
38. Markets for Entrepreneurship Knowledge: Identifying Opportunities and Forums for New Exchanges of Findings From Research and Practice; Jerome A. Katz.
From Research to Teaching: An Innovative Approach to Modeling Entrepreneurial Studies; Jose R. Alonso, William D. Bygrave and L.M. Gillin.
Developing Entrepreneurial Skills and Competencies in Higher Education: The Case of the Enterprise in Higher Education Initiative in the UK; Martin Binks.
Evaluating the Investment Policies and Structural Terms of the Venture Capital Fund Agreement; David J. Brophy and Michael R. Haessler.
Messages From the Front Line: A Survey of Entrepreneurship Educators in Canada; Marlow A. Christensen.
Teaching Entrepreneurship Through the Media: A Comparative Longitudinal Evaluative Study; Yvan Gasse and Bernard Garnier.
Added Value from Teaching Entrepreneurship and Innovation; Murray Gillin and Marcus Powe.
Zero-Based Entrepreneurship: The Effect of Entrepreneurship Education on Entrepreneurial Attitudes in Slovakia; Sanda Honig-Haftel, Linn Neidengard, Peter Robinson, Katarina Polavkova, Stanislav Simoncic.
Consequences of an Entrepreneurial Development Program: Tracking a Cumulative Panel 1988-93; Kjell R. Knudsen, Donald G. McTavish and Richard E. Braun.
Entrepreneurial Teams, Venture Development and Venture Performance; Claire M. Leitch.
Entrepreneurial Studies as a Search for Success: A Qualquant Fusion; G. Dale Meyer and Mary L. Tucker.
The Effects of Geographical and Socio-Economic Differences on the Replicability of Entrepreneurial Training Programs; Courtney Price, Kathleen R. Allen and Stuart Monroe.
Understanding the Gaps: Research-Education-Practice; Stephen A. Stumpf and Britt Shirley.
Product Analysis of Resources Available on Entrepreneurship: An Investigation of Educational Product Attributes; Sydney Scott Tyler.
Essential Activities for Creating a New Venture - a Pre-Product Development Needs Assessment As the Basis for Creating Entrepreneurship Curricula, Courses and Educational Materials; Sydney Scott Tyler.
Entrepreneurship Scholarship in Intent and Use: Part II; Victor L. Rosenberg and Richard James.
Dedicated to the memory of Ewing Marion Kauffman 1916-1993
Philanthropist - Entrepreneur Extraordinaire
Always a Leader
To sign-up for the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies' publication lists,
please register with the Entrepreneurship WebTeam.
Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research are available online
Material published on this web site is copyrighted by Babson College.
U.S. and international copyright laws protect such material. All rights reserved.
1981-1993 contains only Table of Contents. Abstracts only are available for papers published in 1994
Full text of papers available 1995 - 2005
Some special and foreign characters may not appear as in the printed text due to display characteristic of the browser.
© Babson College 1995. All rights reserved.